The Vice President of Product Development will provide transformational vision and leadership for the definition and delivery of all aspects of our products. In particular, this role will be driving the deeper integration of our product development decision support processes from conception to production and delivery.
The VP of Engineering will expand our capability in the Original Equipment manufacturing and automotive aftermarket accessories industry. We are seeking a talented, high-energy individual, with experience defining and building out innovation centers, new product development processes and leveraging our multi-talented design teams. Working together with a team of engineers and designers, he or she will drive the development of our products and work closely with the members of the leadership team throughout CURT Group, to support the integrated delivery of our current product lines and new products to our customers. Reporting to the VP of Engineering are the Directors of Engineering. The VP of Engineering will report directly to the Group President.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Commercial Teams and Technical Teams to bring products from concept to commercialization within an agreed budget and timeline
- Research, evaluate, select and integrate new processes, design standards and required technologies
- Work closely with our Product Management team as part of the marketing group, continuously assess and develop strategies to drive the long-term product roadmap to support our business strategy, and go-to-market plans
- Serve as an executive advisor to the leadership team for the technology and new product direction
- Increase engineering throughput and performance without compromising quality
- Maintain a customer-focused orientation and drive same within the Engineering organization
- Drive the team to be first to market with new product launches
- Build strong relationships with key industry organizations, strategic partners, forums and thought leaders to remain current on leading trends, overall product development trends and developments as they may apply to the strategy and direction of our business
- Assist the sales function in developing alliances with relevant customers (including OE accounts) and partners necessary to our roadmap
- Collaborate with leaders across business units throughout CURT Group to support the integrated delivery of multiple products to customers
- Build a world class product engineering team by recruiting and developing high performing Engineers and Test Engineers on the team
- Lead, manage and develop Engineering leaders and their teams
- Provide guidance and oversight regarding design and implementation
- Assist engineering leaders to achieve higher levels of discipline, quality, and accountability
- Collaborate with other senior leaders to establish, enforce, and evolve products and quality assurance engineering practices and patterns
- Plan, track, and oversee multiple projects simultaneously
- Develop, maintain, and ensure proper execution of cross-functional project plans, including personnel and technology resources
- Prepare and deliver performance reviews
- Refine and manage the development process
- Participate in the development and improvement of product development and quality processes
- Provide project representation within and external to company
- Collaborate with other functional areas to develop and communicate project status to internal and external groups
- Visit prospective customers to understand customer requirements, end user environments and characteristics
- Balance needs of customers with business goals
- Travel domestically and internationally without restriction
- Perform other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primarily working indoors, office environment.
§ Customer Focus
§ Decision Quality
§ Results, Action Oriented
§ Displaying Technical Expertise
§ Time Management
§ Timely Decision Making
§ Conflict Management
§ Developing Talent
§ Managerial Courage
§ Problem Solving
§ Priority Setting
§ Team Building
§ Process Management
§ Thinking Broadly
§ Entrepreneurial Thinking
§ Setting Objectives
§ Written Communication
- Work Experience: 10 years of creating, engineering, designing and developing new products in a mechanical environment. Proven track record of defining and implementing NPD systems. Experience in the automotive industry or Original Equipment manufacturers is a plus; 5 or more years in a design and manufacturing organization successfully leading engineering and product teams in the delivery of products to external customers; ISO and TS certification
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or electrical engineering or related field
- Computer Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office Suites as well as Design Engineering software such as Inventor and Solidworks
- Organization Skills: Ability to organize and develop reporting mechanisms for multiple ongoing projects; Management of multiple projects simultaneously through fast-paced full release cycles (Inception to Deployment); highly skilled at developing KPI’s and holding teams accountable
- Cross-functional skills: Ability to work and handle multiple job assignments; ability to work with and communicate with other departments including Sales, Manufacturing, Distribution and Quality Assurance
- Communication Skills: Ability to communicate within a team setting; ability to maintain a professional & pleasant demeanor
- Physical, Mental and Visual Skills: Ability to analyze information to solve complex problems; ability to maintain attention to detail and accuracy; ability to sit/stand for long period’s daily, position will require some lifting when doing mock installations on vehicles
This role will lead an entire function within Lippert Automotive.
- May sit for several hours at a time.
- Prolonged exposure to computer screens.
- Repetitive use of hands to operate computers, printers, and copiers.
- When on the manufacturing floor, assist in prototype development, as needed.
- Conduct design reviews in a manufacturing environment around physical prototypes
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time salary position, and hours/days of work are decided by production schedules and your reporting manager.
Depending on physical work location, travel may vary up to 40% of the time.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Education: Graduate Degree or MBA
Who We Are
We are the leading supplier of components to the recreational vehicle and Marine industries, as well as adjacent industries including bus, cargo and equestrian trailer, and heavy truck. With over 65 facilities located throughout the United States, Canada, Ireland, Italy, and the United Kingdom, our more than 9,000 team members work together to bring innovative product solutions to market every day.
Why We are Different:
At Lippert Components, Everyone Matters. We are striving to make lives better through meaningful relationships with our co-workers, our customers, and our communities. LCI team members feel a deeper sense of purpose at work, and we continue to build a better work environment by aligning our cultural and business strategies with the needs of our many team members. We measure success by how we touch the lives of people inside and outside our walls.
What You will Get:
- A company culture where everyone matters
- Healthcare + Dental + Vision + 401k with Employer match
- Career development and mentoring
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Annual flu immunization
- Holiday, personal and vacation days
- Local and national discounts
- Wellness offerings
Work Authorization/Security Clearance:
Must be able to pass EVerify.
LCI provides equal employment opportunity to all Team Members and applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected category.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the Team Member for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.